Unsure about if this product suits your needs?
Let AskSARA guide you

Three simple steps to your personalised advice report

1 Choose a topic

2 Answer some questions

3 Get advice

Start here

Shower cubicles

This section includes accessible shower cubicles, shower screens and enclosures. They are corner or full length cubicles, and can provide alternative washing facilities in another part of the home or replace a bath.

Level access shower cubicles have a level, or near level, entrance threshold. They provide walk-in and /or mobile shower chair access.  

Ramped access shower cubicles have a ramp leading to the entrance of the cubicle. Some provide ramped access as an option to a stepped cubicle. Depending on their floor size they may be suitable for use with mobile shower chairs.

Stepped access shower cubicles have a lower than standard step at the entrance of the cubicle. They may have additional accessible features, and may have front or side entry. These cubicles can usually be fitted  in alternative rooms to the bathroom if required.

Fixed shower screens and enclosures are made up of a number of wall-fixed panels. They are not full height so when access or assistance from a carer is required, the carer can reach over them. They can be used with a range of shower trays or a wet room. Portable shower screens are also included.

Akw Sliding Shower Screens
Ready made wet floor screen. Comprises: hinges; fold back shower doors; water seals; nylon caps. Options: corner blocks.
Akw Standalone Shower Cubicles
Shower cubicles with ramped access. Comprises: full height panels; above floor pumped waste, gravity waste, or above floor gravity waste. Range of siz...
Akw Sulby Shower Tray
Shower tray with choice of 9cm stepped entry, straight on ramped entry, or diagonal corner (135 degrees) ramped entry. Comprises: above-floor gravity ...
Aluseal Half Height Shower Doors Range
Fixed shower enclosures. Comprises: folding half height shower doors; weighted shower curtains; 180 degree wall hinges; polystyrene panels; white poly...
Coniston Corner Shower Cubicle
Corner shower cubicle. Comprises: shatter proof glass; brushed satin finish; fold-down shower seat. Options: full height stable doors or half heigh bi...
Coniston Full Height Shower Screen
Full height shower screen panel available in a range of configurations. Comprises: shatter proof glass; brushed satin finish. Options: installation on...
Contour Stepped Access Corner Shower Cubicle
Stepped access corner shower cubicle. Comprises: half cubicle; corner twin bi-folding doors; anti-slip surface; shower tray system is designed to prev...
Contour Stepped Access Shower Cubicles
Stepped access shower cubicle. Comprises: full cubicle; twin bi-folding doors; half height doors for assisted bathing; anti-slip surface; shower tray ...
Dovedale Mk2 Shower Assembley
Shower assembly. Comprises: rectangular shower tray; ramped entry; slip-resistant floor. Options include: curtain track and hooks; shower curtain; gra...
Easa Elegance Collection Doors
Range of shower doors which manufacturer recommends are used with its shower tray or wet room floor formers. Options: full height and split height doo...
Easa Essence Collection Doors
Fixed corner shower screen with bi folding doors. Comprises: aluminium powder coated frame with anti-bacterial properties; plastic hinges with anti-ba...
Easa Evolution Doors
Corner shower cubicle. Comprises: level access; central draining; GRP tray; two bi-folding half height, polycarbonate impact resistant enclosures; sho...
Easa Level Access Tray
Corner shower cubicle. Comprises: ramped access; GRP; off-centre drain; half height polycarbonate enclosures; front or corner access; shower curtain a...
Easidec Wet Floor System
Wet floor system that can be fitted on timber or concrete floors with gravity waste. Available in nine sizes with 15 enclosure options including bi-fo...
Easy Access Wet Room Shower Screens
Wet room shower screen. Comprises: toughened glass full height shower panel; left or right hand fitting; polished chrome finish framework. Options: ...
Evo Half Height Shower Screens
Range of shower screens in a choice of configuration. Comprise: polished chrome frames; toughened glass; half height design; doors available in left o...
Foldaway Wet Room Shower Screens
Wet room shower screens. Comprises: 6mm safety glass, polished chrome finish framework; panels swing inwards and outwards; reversible design for lef...
Front Entry Shower Cubicles
Shower cubicles with ramped access. Comprises: half doors with rubber water seal; thermostatic mixing valve; optional instantaneous water heater; pump...
Buying equipment

There are several factors to consider when purchasing equipment.

Making complaints and reporting unsafe products

In most instances a complaint should initially be made to the supplier who provided you with the item. CAB has a range of guidelines on their website on making a complaint about poor service or faulty goods. These include complaining by phone, complaining in writing and template letters. CAB advice about making a complaint.
If you are not satisfied with the supplier's response then you may choose to complain to:

  • an ombudsman scheme
  • a regulator
  • an independent mediator
  • a trade association (if the supplier is a member of one)


Safety incidents involving medical devices can be reported to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) on the GOV UK website www.mhra.gov.uk or their Adverse incident centre hotline 020 3080 7080. The MHRA is the government agency responsible for ensuring that medical devices and medicines work and are acceptably safe. Their definition of 'Medical devices' includes devices used for assisting patients and users, thus many daily living aids such as bath lifts, commodes and walking sticks are medical devices. Any incident involving the safety of a medical device (including safety issues with its instructions for use) should be reported to the MHRA, especially if the incident contributed to, or could have caused injury, life-threatening illness or death.

Buying from a private person

Buying from a private person gives you fewer rights. You will only be able to claim against the seller if the product doesn't match its description or if the seller did not own it. Consequently, some firms occasionally pretend to be private sellers to avoid their legal responsibilities towards customers. If you suspect this has happened to you find out about your rights and what action to take on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/ or call 0345 404 0506 to speak to the Citizen Advice consumer helpline.


The length of the manufacturer's guarantee does not limit any claim you may make to the seller as if a product develops a fault outside the guarantee period you can still claim against the seller if you can show that the fault was unreasonable at that period in the products life.


You may be asked whether you would like to purchase an extended warranty. Remember that your statutory rights exist, under the Sale of Goods Act, whether or not you choose to buy their warranty and whether or not the goods came with any guarantee. Manufacturers' guarantees are separate from the automatic rights you have against the seller, and may be more limited. For more information read the Citizens Advice Bureau guide to guarantees and warranties.

Maintenance and insurance

For large complex items, such as a stairlift, check what kind of maintenance contract the supplier offers.

Membership of trade associations

Some suppliers are members of a trade association. Many of these trade associations have a code of practice that governs their members' customer service, and thus may help to project you from unscrupulous selling practices. For example, some trade associations prohibit their members from contacting people uninvited to try and sell their products. They may also prohibit their members from using high pressure selling tactics such as offering a discount if you order that day, or phoning their manager while demonstrating the equipment to you to agree a 'special discount/deal'. Thus if you have a choice of suppliers for the product you wish to purchase we recommend you consider the suppliers who are members of trade association.

We record suppliers' membership of several trade associations (see a list of these trade associations) and our ratings give greater weighting to trade associations with codes of practice which are approved by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) (e.g. the British Healthcare Trade Association) or governed by an audit scheme which meets the requirements of the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS).

We also record whether suppliers meet the ISO 9000 series of standards. These standards define a Quality System which certifies that formalised business processes are being applied, and thus may be another indicator to look for if you have a choice of suppliers.


You may be able to purchase equipment designed for use by disabled people without paying the VAT if you are 'chronically sick or disabled', and you are buying the item/s for your own personal or domestic use. For VAT purposes, a person is 'chronically sick or disabled' if they:

  • Have a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out everyday activities.
  • Have a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness (e.g. diabetes).
  • Are terminally ill.


So, you won't qualify if you're only temporarily disabled or incapacitated (e.g. if you have a broken leg).

Examples of products which are likely to qualify for VAT relief (if intended for the personal or domestic use of a chronically sick or disabled person) include:


  • wheelchairs
  • stairlifts
  • computer software or hardware designed specifically for disabled individuals
  • kettle tippers, tap turners, button hooks and similar gadgets or devices that are designed solely to make everyday tasks easier for disabled individuals
  • artificial limbs
  • vehicles that have been adapted for use by a wheelchair or stretcher user


Price is important but, if we list more than one supplier, it is important to look for more than just the cheapest price. Check when the prices were last updated (this should be stated under each price). Consider whether:

  • Postage/delivery is included (if shopping by mail order or online)
  • Is the supplier a member of a trade association? (see below)
  • Is one supplier listing the price with VAT and another without VAT?
  • Check the suppliers' returns policies and any guarantees / warranties (see below).
  • For complex equipment that requires maintenance and/or servicing check what's included in the price and what the ongoing costs will be.

Get advice and an assessment

Experienced therapists or trusted assessors know a lot about products and will help you make sure the product is right for you now and will continue to be suitable in the future. 


You may be able to get an assessment and advice from social services. GOV.UK website
Alternatively you may choose to pay for a private occupational therapist. If you wish to request a private appointment with an occupational therapist then you can obtain details of local private occupational therapists from the 'College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Independent Practice' (COTSS-IP) website. www.cotss-ip.org.uk or phone their enquiry Line: 0845 129 7699.
You can check whether a therapist is state registered with the Health Care professions Council (HCPC) at www.hcpc-uk.org/audiences/

Try before you buy

You can find out about products and try them out, with independent advice at an Independent Living Centre (ILC). There are about 30 ILCs in the UK. Most do not sell products but they will be able to tell you where to buy them. We recommend you make an appointment before you visit

You could view equipment at an exhibition. They are a good opportunity to see what's available and meet the competing suppliers. The main exhibition of equipment is NAIDEX, held annually at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, and Glasgow. www.naidex.co.uk

Support us by donating

Need to speak to us?
back to top