Unsure about if this product suits your needs?
Let AskSARA guide you

Three simple steps to your personalised advice report

1 Choose a topic

2 Answer some questions

3 Get advice

Start here

Wall mounted clocks

This section includes wall clocks with assistive features.

Wall clocks with bold, larger than average digits and a contrasting background which are battery operated, some are automatically adjusted to the correct time by radio signals.

Date and day of week clocks display or speak the date and day of the week.

Clocks which prompt whether it is day or night with a word, colour or symbol.

2-in-1 Calendar & Day Clock
Two-in-one calendar and day clock. Comprises: LED display; display brightness auto-adjusts in day and night mode; 12 or 24 hour time mode; default lan...
2-in-1 Day Clock
Digital day of the week clock. Date, time and day orientation reminder. Comprises: LED back light; available in a range of languages, English is defau...
Abilia Forget-me-not Electronic Calendar
LCD digital calendar display. Comprises: displays the day of the week and the date; can be personalised with photographs.
Abilia Night And Day Electronic Calendar
Night and day calendar with LCD display. Comprises: displays the day, date and whether it is morning, afternoon, evening or night. Options: available ...
Atomic Radio Controlled Alarm Clock
Audible alarm clock with time set automatically from broadcasting station. Comprises: LCD display; tactile push-button with time, date and day announc...
Calendar Clock
Calendar clock. Comprises: coloured fascia; analogue style clock face; month, data and day of the week; battery operated.
Calender Clock
LCD digital display clock with calendar display. Comprises: display shows day, date, month, year and time (in either 12 hour format with AM/PM or in 2...
Cambrian Day Clock
Wall hanging clock displaying abbreviated days of the week. Comprises: plastic surround and acrylic lens.
Clear Time Day-date Wall Clock
High contrast day-date wall clock. Comprises: analogue clock; digital display of day, date and month in UK format; quartz movement.
Clockaid Dementia Clock
Dementia clock. Comprises: downloadable app; displays time of day, date, period of day, seasons, weather and temperature; visual and audio alarms; can...
Day And Night Clock
Wall mounted clock which displays 'day' or 'night' as well as 'morning', 'afternoon' or 'evening'. Comprises: moon and sun symbols; battery operated.
Day Clock
Clock with LCD display that can display the day and whether it is morning, afternoon or evening. Comprises: can display the day of the week and then e...
Dayclox Digital Day Clock
Electronic prompt to inform the user which part of the day it is. Comprises: digital photo frame; display automatically shows day of the week and "mor...
Dayclox Model 8 E Digital Clock
Digital calendar clock. Comprises: backlit LED display; automatic dimmer; time, day and date; displays five different day periods, before dawn, mornin...
Dementia Clock
Dementia clock app. Comprises: shows time and day; option to show different backgrounds for day and night; for use on Android tablet or smartphone.
Dementia Day Clock
Day-of-the-week clock. Comprises: clock with days of the week marked round the clock face in place of numbers; letters are font size 32; uses one AAA ...
Digital Desktop Calendar Clock
Desktop clock with calendar display. Comprises: analogue time display; calendar display with day of week, date and month, automatically adjusts at the...
Digital Wall And Calendar Dementia And Alzheimers Clock
Wall clock. Comprises: calendar displaying month, day, date; black digits and hands; red second hand. Quartz movement.
Buying equipment

There are several factors to consider when purchasing equipment.

Making complaints and reporting unsafe products

In most instances a complaint should initially be made to the supplier who provided you with the item. CAB has a range of guidelines on their website on making a complaint about poor service or faulty goods. These include complaining by phone, complaining in writing and template letters. CAB advice about making a complaint.
If you are not satisfied with the supplier's response then you may choose to complain to:

  • an ombudsman scheme
  • a regulator
  • an independent mediator
  • a trade association (if the supplier is a member of one)


Safety incidents involving medical devices can be reported to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) on the GOV UK website www.mhra.gov.uk or their Adverse incident centre hotline 020 3080 7080. The MHRA is the government agency responsible for ensuring that medical devices and medicines work and are acceptably safe. Their definition of 'Medical devices' includes devices used for assisting patients and users, thus many daily living aids such as bath lifts, commodes and walking sticks are medical devices. Any incident involving the safety of a medical device (including safety issues with its instructions for use) should be reported to the MHRA, especially if the incident contributed to, or could have caused injury, life-threatening illness or death.

Buying from a private person

Buying from a private person gives you fewer rights. You will only be able to claim against the seller if the product doesn't match its description or if the seller did not own it. Consequently, some firms occasionally pretend to be private sellers to avoid their legal responsibilities towards customers. If you suspect this has happened to you find out about your rights and what action to take on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/ or call 0345 404 0506 to speak to the Citizen Advice consumer helpline.


The length of the manufacturer's guarantee does not limit any claim you may make to the seller as if a product develops a fault outside the guarantee period you can still claim against the seller if you can show that the fault was unreasonable at that period in the products life.


You may be asked whether you would like to purchase an extended warranty. Remember that your statutory rights exist, under the Sale of Goods Act, whether or not you choose to buy their warranty and whether or not the goods came with any guarantee. Manufacturers' guarantees are separate from the automatic rights you have against the seller, and may be more limited. For more information read the Citizens Advice Bureau guide to guarantees and warranties.

Maintenance and insurance

For large complex items, such as a stairlift, check what kind of maintenance contract the supplier offers.

Membership of trade associations

Some suppliers are members of a trade association. Many of these trade associations have a code of practice that governs their members' customer service, and thus may help to project you from unscrupulous selling practices. For example, some trade associations prohibit their members from contacting people uninvited to try and sell their products. They may also prohibit their members from using high pressure selling tactics such as offering a discount if you order that day, or phoning their manager while demonstrating the equipment to you to agree a 'special discount/deal'. Thus if you have a choice of suppliers for the product you wish to purchase we recommend you consider the suppliers who are members of trade association.

We record suppliers' membership of several trade associations (see a list of these trade associations) and our ratings give greater weighting to trade associations with codes of practice which are approved by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) (e.g. the British Healthcare Trade Association) or governed by an audit scheme which meets the requirements of the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS).

We also record whether suppliers meet the ISO 9000 series of standards. These standards define a Quality System which certifies that formalised business processes are being applied, and thus may be another indicator to look for if you have a choice of suppliers.


You may be able to purchase equipment designed for use by disabled people without paying the VAT if you are 'chronically sick or disabled', and you are buying the item/s for your own personal or domestic use. For VAT purposes, a person is 'chronically sick or disabled' if they:

  • Have a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out everyday activities.
  • Have a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness (e.g. diabetes).
  • Are terminally ill.


So, you won't qualify if you're only temporarily disabled or incapacitated (e.g. if you have a broken leg).

Examples of products which are likely to qualify for VAT relief (if intended for the personal or domestic use of a chronically sick or disabled person) include:


  • wheelchairs
  • stairlifts
  • computer software or hardware designed specifically for disabled individuals
  • kettle tippers, tap turners, button hooks and similar gadgets or devices that are designed solely to make everyday tasks easier for disabled individuals
  • artificial limbs
  • vehicles that have been adapted for use by a wheelchair or stretcher user


Price is important but, if we list more than one supplier, it is important to look for more than just the cheapest price. Check when the prices were last updated (this should be stated under each price). Consider whether:

  • Postage/delivery is included (if shopping by mail order or online)
  • Is the supplier a member of a trade association? (see below)
  • Is one supplier listing the price with VAT and another without VAT?
  • Check the suppliers' returns policies and any guarantees / warranties (see below).
  • For complex equipment that requires maintenance and/or servicing check what's included in the price and what the ongoing costs will be.

Get advice and an assessment

Experienced therapists or trusted assessors know a lot about products and will help you make sure the product is right for you now and will continue to be suitable in the future. 


You may be able to get an assessment and advice from social services. GOV.UK website
Alternatively you may choose to pay for a private occupational therapist. If you wish to request a private appointment with an occupational therapist then you can obtain details of local private occupational therapists from the 'College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Independent Practice' (COTSS-IP) website. www.cotss-ip.org.uk or phone their enquiry Line: 0845 129 7699.
You can check whether a therapist is state registered with the Health Care professions Council (HCPC) at www.hcpc-uk.org/audiences/

Try before you buy

You can find out about products and try them out, with independent advice at an Independent Living Centre (ILC). There are about 30 ILCs in the UK. Most do not sell products but they will be able to tell you where to buy them. We recommend you make an appointment before you visit

You could view equipment at an exhibition. They are a good opportunity to see what's available and meet the competing suppliers. The main exhibition of equipment is NAIDEX, held annually at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, and Glasgow. www.naidex.co.uk

Support us by donating

Need to speak to us?
back to top