Please take a moment to read the following User Policy. If there is anything you do not understand, then please contact us.
1. Acceptance of this User Policy
IMPORTANT: By accessing and using this Website you will automatically be taken to have read, understood and accepted this User Policy. If you do not agree to be bound by this User Policy please cease to access and use this Website and any of the content found within it (including any content you have copied or downloaded).
2. This website
This Website is provided to you by the DLF (Disabled Living Foundation) part of Shaw Trust ("DLF", "we", "us" or "our"), an organisation that helps older and disabled people find equipment solutions that enable them to lead independent lives. This Website is an information and advice resource aimed primarily at potential users of assistive technology (and their families and friends), but also healthcare professionals who advise clients with regard to assistive technology, and people who work in the assistive technology industry.
This Website provides information to you through a variety of ways, including the provision of:
- a comprehensive and up-to-date database of available assistive technology including links to retailers
- a range of impartial advice, articles and guidance designed to guide you to suitable solutions
- access to a guided advice tool ("AskSARA")
- discussion forums, which give you the chance to discuss your equipment needs with other users (the “Forums”);
- access to specialist training courses and tools for professionals
- information about the charity and its work.
The underlying database has been compiled using information provided to us by manufacturers and retailers of the assistive technology featured.
3. Availability of this website
While we shall use reasonable endeavours to ensure that this Website is generally available we make no representation or guarantees as to such availability.
We reserve the right to withdraw access to all or any part of this Website for periods of time in order to modify the content, for scheduled or unscheduled maintenance and for other purposes, without notice to you.
Since you will receive this Website via third party networks, you acknowledge that we cannot guarantee that the availability of this Website will be uninterrupted or error free. Similarly we cannot guarantee that the transmission of any information over such telecommunications networks will be secure nor that you will be able to access this Website at all times.
IMPORTANT: this Website is therefore provided to you on an “as is” and “as and when available” basis, and your use of this Website is at your own risk.
4. Your obligations
IMPORTANT: You may only use this Website (including any content which you access or download) for lawful purpose(s), and in any event in accordance with this User Policy.
- We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
- You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our site for your personal use.
- You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our site must always be acknowledged.
- You must not use any part of the content on our site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us.
- If you print off, copy or download any part of our site in breach of these terms and conditions, your right to use our site will cease immediately and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made.
- To comply with any legal notices contained in this Website; and
- To respect and comply with the legal rights of others, in particular our rights and the rights of our licensees.
- You may link to our home page, provided you do so in a way that is fair and legal and does not damage our reputation or take advantage of it.
- You must not establish a link in such a way as to suggest any form of association, approval or endorsement on our part where none exists.
- You must not establish a link to our site in any website that is not owned by you.
- Our site must not be framed on any other site, nor may you create a link to any part of our site other than the home page.
- We reserve the right to withdraw linking permission without notice.
- The website in which you are linking must comply in all respects with the standards and requirements set out in our User Policy.
- If you wish to link to or make any use of content on our site other than that set out above, please email us at email@example.com
You may use our site only for lawful purposes. You may not use our site:
- In any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation.
- In any way that is unlawful or fraudulent or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect.
- To transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam).
- To knowingly transmit any data or send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree:
- Not to reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of our site.
- Not to access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our site;
- any equipment or network on which our site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
Breach of this policy
Failure to comply with this policy constitutes a material breach of the User Policy and may result in our taking all or any of the following actions:
- Immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use our site (including our sub-domains).
- Issue of a warning to you.
- Legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach.
- Further legal action against you.
- Disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary or as required by law.
The actions we may take in response to breaches of this policy are not limited to those described above, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
5. Ownership and Licence
You acknowledge that all rights in copyright, database rights, design rights, trade marks and other intellectual property rights (whether registered, capable of registration or otherwise) throughout the world, for the full duration of such rights (“IP Rights”) in this Website are owned by us or our other licensees (as appropriate).
Except for your use of this Website in accordance with this User Policy, you are granted no IP Rights in respect of this Website.
You may print copy or download any extracts from this Website provided always that:
- the DLF is the acknowledged source;
- all titles credits and URLs are included; and
- you comply with any legal notice contained in this Website.
This permission is revocable by us at any time.
All trademarks, logos, titles, brand and product names (the “trademarks”) which are featured in this Website, are owned by us or our licensees.
You may only use or refer to any trademarks which are included in content downloaded, copied or printed by you in accordance with this User Policy. Otherwise you must not offer or distribute any products or services under or by reference to the trade marks, or otherwise reproduce any of the trademarks without our express written consent.
In relation to any messages which you post on to the Forums, you grant us a non-exclusive royalty free licence (which includes the right to grant sub-licences) to include the content of such messages on this Website so that it can be made available by us as part of the Website and be viewed by other users and used and exploited by them as they see fit.
This Website contains links to other websites which are not under our control. These links are provided for your convenience only. We are not responsible for the availability or content of such other websites, nor for any products or services available from them. Any such link should not be seen as an endorsement of such websites, or any products or services contained on them.
You should be aware that your use of such other websites may be subject to additional terms and conditions imposed by the owners of those websites. Your dealings with such third parties are between you and the third party, and we accept no liability as a result of you accessing such websites or entering into contractual arrangements with the operator in question.
7. Modifications to this User Policy
8. Using DLF-Data
Please see the Forum Policy in relation to the registration and use of data belonging to a user of the Forums.
You can become a DLF-Data subscriber Registered User in two ways:
- where you are an individual who subscribes as an individual Registered User (“Individual Subscriber”); or
- where an organisation (“Organisation”) subscribes on your behalf allocating you as a Registered User.
An Organisation and its Registered Users shall be jointly and severally liable under this User Policy for the actions and omissions of its Registered Users (whether within the scope of their employment or otherwise) in relation to any use of this Website. In particular, an Organisation shall be responsible for a Registered User's use of DLF-Data. If you are an Individual Subscriber you shall be solely liable for any use you make of it.
In order to access DLF-Data you (or your Organisation acting on your behalf) must first register with us and become a Registered User.
When registering as a Registered User, you and your Organisation (where applicable) agree to provide accurate, up-to-date and complete information about yourself, as prompted by the Website ("Your Data") and to promptly update Your Data as and when any changes to Your Data occur.
When you or your Organisation on your behalf (as applicable) successfully register as a Registered User you will receive a Username and Password. You are responsible for keeping your Password confidential and shall take all necessary steps to ensure that it is kept secure and not disclosed to any other person.
IMPORTANT: Please note that your Username and Password are individual to you. If another person (whether located at your organisation or otherwise) wishes to access DLF-Data they must first be registered as a separate Registered User.
To knowingly allow other individuals to use your Username and/or Password shall be viewed as a material breach of this User Policy and allow us to terminate your registration as a Registered User and/or your access to all or any parts of this Website without notice to you, as detailed below.
If you know or suspect that your Password has been disclosed to any other person you must contact us immediately and change your password. Please note that you are responsible for all activities that occur under your Password.
9. Vendor portal – ‘self-service’
The Vendor Portal ‘Self Service’ system has been developed by the DLF to allow manufacturers and retailers to amend, add and remove product and retailer information to DLF’s database.
DLF has a set of criteria that products and manufacturers / retailers must meet in order for them to be included in the database and any services derived from it e.g. Living Made Easy, AskSARA. These are Inclusion Policies and are detailed below.
DLF’s database includes equipment that might help a person with a disability or an older person to carry out a task, improve comfort and support, or increase mobility. However, equipment seen to be readily available from high street shops, or no longer specialised, may not be included.
DLF Data does not currently include the following types of equipment…
…unless there is a specific reason. For example, blood pressure monitors are classed as medical equipment, but a talking blood pressure monitor designed for personal use would be included, as this could be useful for a person who is blind or partially sighted.
DLF proactively maintains all products by ensuring that at least one retailer is listed using the following criteria:
- The manufacturer if they are also listed as a retailer of the product
- If that information is not available/the manufacturer is not also a retailer of the product, one of the retailers who meets our standards will be chosen at random
- If there are no retailers who meet our standards listed as selling the product, and there is no manufacturer information available/the manufacturer is not also listed as a retailer, the product can be maintained by the retailer(s) through Self Service.
Any products that do not meet DLF’s standards may eventually be removed from the database if the retailer does not update their details via self-service for more than two years.
However, DLF will act upon any issues or updates that are brought to its attention, regardless of whether it classes them as DLF-maintained products.
All new products must have the following entered on their product record:
• Product name
• Product price (it is preferable that price information is entered, but add POA if this is not possible)
• At least one retailer
• At least one classification
• An appropriate image
• The product manufacturer’s name
If this information is not supplied, the product will not be added.
It is preferable that all new products also have the following information added:
• A web link to the specific product (or general web address if the former is not known)
• Product codes where appropriate
• Product video link
DLF requires some sort of visual product information in order for a product to be added, so if you are unable to provide a web link to the product, please email product details to firstname.lastname@example.org :
If the required information above is not supplied within one month of the new product being submitted by you, the product will not be added.
It is DLF’s policy to include manufacturer information for any product added to the database as new so that information on the product’s origin can be provided to the end user. This information can potentially help the end user by providing a further point of contact regarding product information and/or spare parts.
Manufacturer information is listed separately to retailer information, unless the manufacturer is also a retailer of the product, in which case they will have a retailer entry as well.
DLF’s policy states the following:
- If a product is manufactured by the company we have listed as selling it, that company is listed as both manufacturer and retailer
- If a product is not manufactured by the company we have listed as selling it, the seller must provide a manufacturer name and country of manufacture for that product. This includes cases when a product is manufactured for the company.
The manufacturer of a product has the right to request removal of any retailer listed as supplying the product(s) they manufacture. DLF reserves the right to investigate further any request by a company to remove retailer(s) attached to the product(s) in question.
Sole distributors can also request the removal of other suppliers listed as supplying the product(s) they have sole distributor rights for but DLF expects to receive written confirmation from the manufacturer that they have given the distributor sole distribution rights.
Only the manufacturer/sole UK distributor of the product in question can request removal of a retailer from the product, and any company found abusing this system (i.e. claiming to be the manufacturer/sole UK distributor when they are not) can be removed from DLF’s websites permanently.
To request removal of a retailer(s) from a product(s), the manufacturer/sole UK distributor must:
• Provide DLF with a list of products they would like the retailer(s) to be removed from, the name(s) of the retailer/s they wish to be removed and the reason/s.
• Confirm that they are the manufacturer/sole UK distributor of the product (their company name will be added to the manufacturer field of the database, which will be viewable by users, and/or the retailer will be flagged as being the sole UK distributor). If there are other current retailers attached to the record, the sole UK distributor box will not be ticked.
DLF will then process the request in the following way:
• Make reasonable checks to ensure the company claiming to be the manufacturer/sole UK distributor is the manufacturer/sole UK distributor. Any doubts over this must be investigated.
• If DLF is satisfied that the company is the manufacturer/sole UK distributor of the product(s), they will remove the retailer(s) from the product(s) in question and let them know. If the retailer wishes to appeal/contest their removal they must provide written evidence from the manufacturer that they have the right/s to distribute the product/s.
• If the retailer to be removed is the only one listed, the product record and supplier to be removed must be archived and the following note added: (product manufacturer) has requested removal of x as a retailer of this product
They will then contact the manufacturer to let them know the changes have been made. If the product has been archived as a result of the action taken, DLF will ask the manufacturer for an approved retailer the DLF can contact to add as a retailer of the product (subject to DLF's supplier inclusion policy checks)
The DLF reserve the right to remove or suspend retailers or manufacturers from the database if the DLF believes the retailer or manufacturer has behaved in a way that could potentially
New retailers can be added to the database if they:
- Supply their products directly to the public, and/or to a public sector body*#
- Supply their products nationally **
- Supply their products on a one-off basis (or in packs appropriate to the product)
- Have a UK base
- Supply relevant products
- Provide DLF with adequate information for the products they would like listed
* Public sector body includes to a charity, non-profit organisation, hospital authority
** The UK includes England (including Isle of Wight), Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. The Channel Islands (Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark and Herm), and The Isle of Man are not classed as part of the UK.
DLF follows style rules so that information is presented in a consistent manner. Please observe the following guidelines:
- Don’t add new products without searching for them on the database first
- Don’t add images with logos that are clearly visible
- Don’t use decimal points after the price
- Do round all prices up to the nearest pound
- Do write price variants as a range rather than separate (for example 10-20, not 10; 12; 14; 16; 18; 20)
- Prices are retail prices, where it is not practical to have a price for a product type, write POA.
- If the price is for more than one of the product, write how many in the quantity field.
- Do not add colour options unless integral to the use of the product (for example where colour contrast is important)
- Do not add options and accessories as these will be included in the description
- Do add a brief description before each code saying what the variant is
DLF reserves the right to remove or suspend retailers or manufacturers from the database if the DLF believes the retailer or manufacturer has behaved in a way that could potentially damage DLF in any way.
DLF reserves the right to remove or suspend retailers or manufacturers from using the Vendor Portal ‘Self Service’ system if they persistently misuse it.
DLF reserves the right to change these terms and conditions whenever necessary
10. Forum Policy - Youreable
You agree to only access and use the Forums in accordance with the Forum Policy.
This Forum Policy sets out certain rules that will govern your use of the discussion forums (the "Forums") including some guidelines that we hope you will find helpful.
The Forums are available to all users of the Website to look at. Only registered users of this Website ("Forum Users") are able to post messages. These Forums are provided to give you the chance to discuss issues, including your equipment needs, with other users and ask for advice from our advice team. As in a real community, Forum Users are asked to respect other Forum Users and their rights. The Forums are divided into different areas, with each area dedicated to particular topics of discussion. Please ensure that any discussions you begin are started in the appropriate area so that other people know where to look for them.
Only one account per person is allowed. Registering more than one account will result in all of the user’s accounts being suspended, and the user may be permanently banned from using the Youreable Forum.
You must register on this site with an email address that is valid. New users will not be able to post on the Forum until they click the activation link sent to their registered email address, and the account has been approved. Registered Forum users are responsible for keeping their Youreable account up-to-date about their current email address.
Your access and use of the Forums is subject to your acceptance of, and compliance with the provisions of this Forum Policy and any other legal notices and/or instructions which may appear in the Forums (including in any messages or attachments posted on a Forum) from time to time.
IMPORTANT: By accessing and using the Forums you will automatically be taken to have read, understood and accepted this Forum Policy. If you do not agree to be bound by this Forum Policy, please cease to access any Forums. If you fail to observe any of the provisions of this Forum Policy, we reserve the right, at our discretion and without notice, to remove or edit any messages you may have left on a Forum and/or to exclude you (either temporarily or permanently) from the Forums and/or terminate your access to all or any parts of this Website, depending on the nature and severity of your breach.
If you are notified that your posting privileges have been suspended or terminated, you will not attempt to reregister as a User of the Forums or make any Posts on it in any guise whatsoever.
When former Users whose posting privileges have been removed do reregister or otherwise disrupt the Forums, this spoils the Forums and can cause severe distress or disturbance to other Users. Dealing with the unwanted Posts of former Users distracts us from the core purpose of the Website and ties up management and technician time. Therefore, in such circumstances we reserve the right to:
- Report offenders to their ISP.
- Charge offenders for the administrative costs of identifying and removing their posts at the rate of £50 per hour necessarily spent plus any external costs that we incur.
- Take legal action to recover these costs.
- Report offenders to the authorities if their actions appear to amount to a breach of the Computer Misuse Act 1990 or any other relevant criminal legislation.
This Forum Policy may be amended from time to time, and we therefore suggest that you review it periodically.
When posting ("Posting") a message or a reply (including attachments) ("Message") on any Discussion Forum, you will need to be logged in as a registered Forum User. The following information will appear in your Posts.
- Username - This will be published alongside your Message. It will be the Username you created when you registered;
- Location – Once again this will be published alongside your Message if you provided it when you registered. This will enable geographical queries to be responded to more effectively. Please do not insert your home address; your town, city or county will suffice, and in any case, please note that you are not obliged to provide this information;
- Topic Title – This is only required if you are starting a new topic thread; and
- Text – This will of course be published. You are responsible for ensuring the safety of your personal information and we therefore recommend that you do not include your full home address, job title, telephone number or other more sensitive personal information in any Messages, unless you are entirely satisfied that such information should be made public. In particular, please remember that your email address may contain personal information about you such as your name and where you work.
Rules for using the Forums
General Behaviour - Forum Users must not transmit to any Forum ("Post") any Message, or knowingly receive via a Forum ("Access") any Message that is unlawful, illegal, fraudulent, offensive, threatening, abusive, bullying, harassing, tortuous, indecent, obscene, defamatory, invasive of another's privacy, or discriminatory whether racially, ethnically, sexually, religiously or otherwise, or which may incite or instruct any person or organisation to undertake such activities. The persistent posting of critical messages that focus on other forum members is an example of behaviour that is harassing.
Use of Language – Forum Users must not Post or Access Messages containing language that is in any way unlawful, threatening or offensive. This includes the use of swear-words, bad language and offensive nicknames. Care should be taken with the use of language with attention given to tact and diplomacy and being non-judgmental. Remember that members may have low confidence, or be quite emotional and take replies in ways other than intended, or out of context. However also remember that everyone has different writing styles and that you may be reading something out of context, or other than intended.
Breach of Confidence – Forum Users must not Post or Access Messages that might in any way breach the confidence or privacy of another individual. For example, an email received from an individual cannot be placed on a Forum without first obtaining that individual’s consent.
Breach of Intellectual Property – Forum Users must not Post or Access Messages that might in any way infringe any patent, trade mark (including Trade Marks), trade secret, copyright, database right or in any other way violates the legal rights of any third party.
Impersonation – Forum Users must not impersonate any person or identity, falsely state or otherwise misrepresent their affiliation with a person or organisation or disguise the origin of any content of a Message.
Forum Users post as individuals, they can state their background and experience but unless authorised to do so should refrain from making repeated references to other services that they may work or volunteer for. Any views you express are your own. When views are expressed in a way which implies the support or endorsement of a third organisation it can have damaging consequences for that organisation including:
- compromising core principles of independence, impartiality and client confidentiality
- relationships with other third parties can be harmed
- potential members / volunteers may be put off contacting the organisation
Viruses – Forum Users must not Post or Access Messages that might contain computer viruses or any other computer code, or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software, hardware, or telecommunications equipment.
Illegal and Harmful Activities – Forum Users must not Post or Access Messages relating to (or including links to) pirated software (including computer games), counterfeit goods or any other material which is, or might reasonably considered to be, illegal or otherwise harmful.
Pornography – Forum Users must not Post or Access Messages relating to (or including links to) any kind of pornography.
Personal Information – Forum Users must not Post any messages containing any information about another person from which that person can be identified. Please be aware that you do not have to name a person in order to identify them, if sufficient other information is given.
Contact Details - Forum Users must not Post any Messages containing email addresses, home address, telephone number or other contact details, of themselves or any other person.
Spam/advertising - Forum Users must not Post any Messages advertising products or services for profit or gain (unless in the Supplier section of the Forum.
Off topic Messages - Forum Users must not Post Messages that are off topic for the forum or thread if these will be disruptive to other users (Moderators will determine whether they feel Messages are off topic).
Sharing of accounts - No account should be used by more than one person.
Repeat Posts - a Post or very similar Posts should not be placed in several forums.
Trolls - Forum Users must not Post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion
Other - Forum Users must not act in any way that brings DLF into disrepute.
Moderator complaints: complaints and queries about Moderators should be sent directly and not posted on the forums. We will not discuss moderation on the forum as this would help trolls and spammers.
Advertising/Commercial use User to user recommendations of products is acceptable and encouraged but any commercially driven posts will be removed and your account banned or a warning issued. For example, inline text advertising is strictly forbidden. Any posts which do not adhere to the above will be removed and should the post be reposted the account may be subject to a warning or ban. In order to post urls on Forums you must be an established member and with at least 10 posts as we don’t want to encourage people to post simply to advertise rather than participate properly in the forum.
Surveys/research requests/TV programmes All posts from students, professionals or anyone else asking for users to take part in research, complete surveys or to take part in TV programmes, must be placed under the "Surveys/research requests/TV programmes" forum board. They must be genuine requests and be aimed at people with disabilities. This is because in the past when this was not filtered, we received complaints from our users about the volume of such requests that were posted as they disrupted the genuine discussions on the forum. Any posts which do not adhere to the above will be removed and should the post be reposted the account may be subject to a warning or ban.
If you are a student, the post must contain the following:
- The name of the university you are studying at
- The name of your lecturer
- The name of the course
- The purpose of the project.
Reminder: If you fail to observe any of these rules, we reserve the right, at our discretion and without notice, to remove or edit any messages you may have left on a Forum and/or to exclude you (either temporarily or permanently) from the Forums and/or terminate your access to all or any parts of this Website, depending on the nature and severity of your breach.
Monitoring / Moderation
In order to provide Forum Users with general support and advice in relation to their use of the Forums and for security and abuse-management reasons, DLF staff may act as Moderators. All DLF staff who act as Moderators have been DBS (was CRB) checked.
Moderators will access the Forums from time to time in order to help ensure that other Forum Users are adhering to this Forum Policy.
DLF reserves the right to:
- access and monitor the use of Forums and any Messages Posted on them
- take whatever other steps we consider are necessary to protect our Forum Users; including editing or removing any Messages or suspending or discontinuing any Forums
- revoke your status as a Forum User or otherwise limit your right of access to this Website at any time where, in our opinion, you have materially or persistently breached this Policy or the Terms and Conditions
- restrict your ability to complain or in some cases revoke your status as a Forum User if the complaint facility is used excessively or maliciously
Each Forum User shall remain responsible for his or her behaviour in the Forum. If we remove your Message after reviewing it, you can assume that we removed it deliberately and you should take our warning notification seriously.
We do not monitor all activity on the Forums and so we do rely on Forum Users to inform us if you observe any abuse or inappropriate behaviour, in which case we will review specific Messages and assess if they breach the Forum or User Policy.
Concerns about posts: Youreable forum users can raise concerns about posts that they feel break DLF’s Forum Policy via the ‘Report this Post’ button. (You must be logged in to report Posts.)
The report will be sent to DLF Moderators who will review the post and decide what action to take. Options will include: no action necessary, removing the reported post and replacing with a message that says that the post has been removed by a Moderator, removing the entire thread and, for users who persistently break DLF’s Forum Policy, banning the user from the Forum by DLF’s Moderators as to which option to take will be final.
Reported Forum posts and those that have gone into automatic moderation will only be dealt with by DLF’s Moderators during DLF’s normal business hours (Mon-Fri, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.).
NB - Do not abuse the "Report Post" button. If you do not agree with a comment, please respond via the forum. The "Report Post" function is there to ensure that Forum Users have the means to report inappropriate content.
Requests for thread deletions
We don't generally delete whole discussion threads, unless they contravene forum policy. If such a request is made by a forum member we will usually only remove whole discussion threads in exceptional circumstances.
The reason for this is because removing entire threads goes against the spirit of community, which is to provide support and share knowledge, experience and information. By deleting a thread, this knowledge and experience cannot be shared or built upon - it is not the original poster who just benefits, but others who come to the forum seeking advice and information themselves. Also forum members who add posts to threads are giving time, support, effort and knowledge into helping the original poster, and others, and it can be frustrating to find their posts have then been deleted. If you should need to contact us about a thread, contact us at email@example.com
Requests for account deletion and removal of personal information
If a forum user wishes to leave the forum we can delete the account at their request. The personal information (e.g. username and email address of the account holder) will be removed from the database. All posts will remain on the forum, but will be re-attributed to ‘Guest’. Posts maybe removed from the forum if exceptional circumstances exist, for example a safeguarding issue. For more on forum user responsibilities on posting please refer to sections 2 and 3 above.
The forum is a shared space and we would ask forum members to think carefully before requesting account deletions - members may wish to consider taking a break from the forum rather than deactivating their account completely if they feel unsure about whether they wish to return in future.
DLF would not allow users to continually leave the site and return to create new accounts as we feel this goes against the spirit and community of the forum and we reserve the right to refuse this request.
Liability and Disclaimers
Please read carefully the paragraphs entitled “Disclaimers”, “Our liability” and “Your liability” as they also apply to this Forum Policy.
Please note that:
- The Forums consist largely of Messages Posted by Forum Users that are not employed or contracted by us, and we do not monitor every Message nor the conduct of every Forum User. Therefore, we can accept no liability in respect of the content of any Messages, including the accuracy or truthfulness of any such Messages or any responsibility for the consequences of your acting in reliance on such Messages. We do not endorse any opinions expressed by any Forum Users in any Messages;
- While we will take steps to edit or remove any Messages which are in breach of this Forum Policy and which come to our notice, we cannot guarantee the prompt editing or removal of any Messages;
- We reserve the right at our sole discretion to remove or edit Messages from the Forums or to suspend or discontinue or take down from the Website any or all Forums at any time for any reason; and
- We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to deny any Forum User access to the Forums, without notice, for any breach of this Forum Policy and/or to terminate your access to all or any parts of this Website.
- Our staff and volunteers: Please note that acts of discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation against our staff or volunteers (including Moderators) will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to, physical or verbal abuse or contacting our staff or volunteers outside working hours on personal numbers without specific permission.
Third party advertising
This website may contain third party advertisements and links to third party sites.
Third party advertisements and links to other websites where goods and services are advertised does not mean the DLF endorses or recommends the advertiser’s goods or services. DLF does not make any representation as to the accuracy or suitability of any information contained in those advertisements or links to third party sites, and does not accept responsibility for the content of the advertisements, promises made, or the quality or reliability of the products or services offered in these advertisements. DLF will not knowingly run an advertisement which is untrue or fraudulent.
Modifications to the Forum Policy
While we do endeavour to ensure that the information contained in this Website is accurate, appropriate and up-to-date, you should note that:
- since much of the content of the product information is provided by the producers, suppliers or distributors of the assistive technology featured, we cannot and do not undertake to monitor every item;
- we make no representations, warranties or endorsements about either the information included in this Website or its accuracy (including in relation to any opinions or advice given), nor about any assistive technology featured; and
- anything on this Website is for information purposes only and does not constitute investment advice, legal or professional advice and should not be treated as a substitute for the advice of your own doctor or any other health care professional. You should always consult your own GP if you are in any way concerned about your health or the health of another person.
- The information that you receive on this website is not a substitute for individual assessment. We recommend that you arrange an assessment with an occupational therapist before purchasing any daily living equipment that may affect your balance, mobility, posture, pressure care, ability to summon help, or general safety. You need to consider if the equipment will work as you intend, when you are in your home environment. Ideally you should trial the equipment at home before you purchase.
Although we cannot guarantee the prompt editing or removal of any inappropriate or inaccurate content, if you find any content that is inaccurate or inappropriate then please contact us.
While we use virus checkers to check the content of the Website, we are unable to guarantee that is virus and/or error free. You should always check any content before downloading. Any content is downloaded by you from the Website at your own risk, and on the basis that you will be solely responsible for any damage to your computer system or loss of data that result from the download of such content.
IMPORTANT: Please note that you are solely responsible for any decisions you take based on the information contained in the Website.
On the basis that you are accessing this Website for business and commercial purposes, and/or our status as a charity, you agree that, unless we specifically state otherwise, we provide this Website to you without any conditions, warranties, or guarantees, whether express or implied, including but not limited to any implied warranties or conditions as to the satisfactory quality or fitness for a particular purpose, which are expressly excluded to the extent permitted by law.
12. Our Liability
We do not limit our liability if you die or are injured as a result of our negligence, or if you suffer loss as a consequence of any fraud by us (or for any other liabilities which we may not by law exclude) and nothing in this User Policy should be read as making any such limitations.
We shall not be liable to you in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise for:
- any loss or damage arising from your use of the Website;
- any loss or damage arising as a consequence of viruses received by you via this Website;
- any loss or damage arising as a consequence of our failure to provide this Website in accordance with this User Policy; and/or
- any economic losses (including loss of profits) any indirect or consequential losses, loss of data, goodwill or reputation, or for any wasted expense including but not limited to losses caused by viruses,
- and any other liability we may have to you whether in contract, tort (including negligence) or otherwise for any loss or damage suffered by you in relation to this Website is limited to £500.
In any event we will not be liable for any failure to perform our obligations if we are prevented from doing so by an event beyond our reasonable control.
IMPORTANT: You acknowledge that, on the basis of our charitable status and that you are either accessing this Website free of charge or alternatively on the basis of the fee you are charged to be a Registered User, the disclaimers and limits on our liability contained in this User Policy are fair and reasonable.
13. Your Liability
We reserve the right to suspend or terminate your registration as a Registered User and/or your access to all or any parts of this Website without notice to you, if we reasonably believe you and/or your Organisation (as applicable) to have breached this User Policy.
You agree to indemnify us from and against any liability, loss, damage or expense caused to any person to the extent such losses, damages and expense is caused by your use of this Website.
Again you acknowledge that this indemnity is appropriate and reasonable given our charitable status and that you are either accessing this Website free of charge or alternatively on the basis of the fee charged for you to be a Registered User.
We are entitled to revoke your status as a Registered User or otherwise limit your right of access to this Website at any time:
- where you have materially or persistently breached this User Policy; or
- in any event on three (3) months’ notice. In the event that we revoke your status as a Registered User due to your material or persistent breach of this User Policy you or your Organisation (as applicable) shall not be entitled to any refund of the fee you were charged to be a Registered User.
Please note the following:
- any failure or delay by us to bring legal proceedings in relation to this Website or this User Policy shall not be regarded as a waiver of any rights. Indeed if we do waive any such rights, this shall not be regarded to be a waiver of any other or future rights we may have;
- if any paragraph, or part of any paragraph, of this User Policy is found by any Court, or other competent body to be wholly or partly illegal, invalid, void, voidable, unenforceable or unreasonable, that part shall be deemed to be severable from this User Policy and the remaining provisions of this User Policy shall continue in full force and effect;
- the User Policy is not intended, nor shall it operate, to create a partnership or joint venture of any kind between us and you, and you are not authorised to act as our agent;
- no term of this User Policy shall be enforceable under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 by a third party, who is not a party to this User Policy;
- you may serve any formal notice on us by contacting us and we may serve a formal notice on you, by either first class post or email and such notice will be regarded as formally received by the other on the next day that is not a weekend or a bank holiday;
- you acknowledge that (in relation to your use of this Website) you have not relied on any statement, representation, warranty or understanding made by us or on our behalf (whether or not made negligently) other than those expressly set out in this User Policy;
- this User Policy shall be interpreted in accordance with English Law and in relation to any disputes which may arise in relation to this User Policy or this Website, you and we submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts.
16. The Information Standard
DLF shall hold responsibility for the accuracy of the information they publish and neither the Information Standard scheme operator nor the scheme owner shall have any responsibility whatsoever for costs, losses or direct or indirect damages or costs arising from inaccuracy of information or omissions in information published on the website on behalf of DLF.
17. Contacting Us
You can contact us by sending an e-mail message to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or by writing to us at: DLF c/o The Shaw Trust, Black Country House, Rounds Green Road, Oldbury B69 2DG
If you have a complaint, please email, write to us or phone us on 0300 123 3084.
Please note that acts of discrimination, harassment, bullying and victimisation against DLF staff will not be tolerated. This includes, but is not limited to, physical or verbal abuse or contacting DLF staff outside working hours on personal numbers without specific permission.