Let AskSARA guide you

If you are a member of the public looking to access our rapid self-assessment tool, AskSARA, please contact your local authority to access this service.

If you are a local authority or organisation wishing to enquire about obtaining a license for your residents, please contact us at enquiries@livingmadeeasy.org.uk, where we will be happy to assist.

To see a list of current Local Authority & HSCP Licensees, click the button below.

View Licensees

Kitchens and kitchen units

This section includes kitchen furniture with accessible features.

Fitted and made-to-measure kitchens often use standard fittings primarily to provide an accessible kitchen. Freestanding and mini kitchens are also included. 

Adjustable height kitchen cupboards, worktops and sinks are manual or powered wall-mounted or freestanding systems which can be used for raising and lowering (including forward adjustment) of kitchen cupboards, hobs or ovens, sinks, tables and worktops. Some can be fitted to existing cupboards, many have anti-entrapment safety mechanisms. Many can be operated by seated users. Corner carousel and pull and swing units are designed to give easier access to the space available in a corner cupboard. 

Kitchen shelving systems, pull-out platforms/larders and cantilever tables may provide assistance. Lifting platforms, bins with automatic opening lids, electric power points that can be set into a worktop and shallow sinks are available. 

Shallow sinks may assist a user who finds their existing sink too low for them to work at comfortably or may help give extra clearance for a wheelchair user to position themselves in front of the sink. 

Sort by:
Innohome Sona Stove Guard
Device that detects fire and gases. Comprises: stove guard device sits between the power supply and the cooker; heat sensor fits onto the surface of t...
Add for comparison
Freedom Kitchen Range
Range of fitted kitchen units designed for accessibility. Comprises wall-mounted rise and fall units and base units designed to maximise storage at an...
Add for comparison
Pop Up Mains Sockets
Pop up mains socket. Comprises: screwless faceplate; auto lock function; retractable hidden function; renewable fuse cartridge; three 13A sockets; 2G...
Add for comparison
Unicook Airis-C Stove Guard
Stove guard. Disconnects power to the stove in the event of a risk of fire. Consists of seven sensors to determine signs of risk, designed not to affe...
Add for comparison
Unicook Airis Stove Guard
Stove guard. Disconnects power to the stove in the event of a risk of fire. Consists of seven sensors to determine signs of risk, designed not to affe...
Add for comparison
Talking Induction Hob
Talking induction hob. Comprises: select either power level or temperate to cook; hob is designed to switch off once pan is removed; hob turns off aft...
Add for comparison
Wicker Basket Drawers With Handles And Runners
Pull-out wicker basket to suit 500mm inframe cabinet.
Add for comparison
Wicker Basket Drawer
Pair of brown wicker basket kitchen pull-out drawers designed for compatible cabinets. Comprises: wooden frames and runners in beech; runners are pre-...
Add for comparison
Vauth Sagel Cornerstone Swing Storage Unit
Swing out corner carousel cupboard unit. Comprises: two shaped shelves with wire rail, can be set to height suitable for user; soft-close movement; un...
Add for comparison
System Flex Kitchens
Kitchen units designed to facilitate access. Comprises: adjustable height wall-mounted units; wall fixing brackets; range of wall and mobile units; ba...
Add for comparison
Slide Out Half Circle Carousel Storage Unit
Swing out corner carousel cupboard unit. Comprises: two half-circle shelves with steel wire rail, which can be pulled out further for access; adjustab...
Add for comparison
Saint Roch Kitchens For Disabled People
Fitted kitchens designed for people with disabilities manufactured to suit customer's specific requirements. The range of pull-out and pull down syste...
Add for comparison
Ropox Kitchen Frame System
Adjustable height wall-mounted frames for kitchen cupboards, work surfaces, appliances and sinks. Made-to-measure. Turning handle on front panel adjus...
Add for comparison
Ropox 4single Dining Table
Adjustable height dining tables that can also be used as a breakfast bar or kitchen worktop. Comprises four telescopic, electric, adjustable height le...
Add for comparison
Pebre Soft-close Pull Out Storage Unit
Pull out cupboard shelves. Comprises: two soft close kidney-shaped shelves; left or right handed; raised sides; shelves swing out on opening door; fix...
Add for comparison
Parallel Fold Away Shelf Mechanism
Foldaway worktop extending shelf mechanism. Shelf not included. Comprises: 2x galvanised steel springs, white lacquered steel arms; in fully extended ...
Add for comparison
Nuvola Corner pull out Storage Unit
Pull out corner cupboard unit. Comprises: two shaped wooden shelves with chrome plated wire rail; left or right handed; shelves are operated independe...
Add for comparison
Multi-purpose Height-adjustable Frames
Multi-purpose frames with fitted mount providing adjustable height kitchen work surface which can include sink and hob. Comprises electric operation a...
Add for comparison
Mobiflex Kitchen Range
Range of adjustable kitchen units, hobs and sinks. Comprises: aluminium fixings; wall fixing brackets; range of doors; worktops; handles; units; oven ...
Add for comparison
Maxima Pull Out Larders
Tall larder storage unit with pull-out larder. Comprises tall larder for 600mm width, and pull-out facility.
Add for comparison
Materia Corner Pull-out Storage unit
Pull out corner cupboard unit. Comprises: two shaped metal shelves with raised edges; left or right handed; shelves are operated independently; fixing...
Add for comparison
Individual Half Circle Kitchen Carousel Unit
Corner carousel cupboard unit. Comprises: two half-circle shelves with wire rail; unhanded; shelves are operated independently. Options: choice of siz...
Add for comparison
Half Circle Carousel Storage Unit
Swing out corner carousel cupboard unit. Comprises: two plastic half-circle shelves with raised edges; shelf follower to enable one shelf to be attach...
Add for comparison
Granberg Unilift Kitchen Appliance Lift
Kitchen appliance lift to lift from floor to working height. Fits in a cabinet. Comprises: solid beech platform; electrically operated lifting and low...
Add for comparison
Buying equipment

There are several factors to consider when purchasing equipment.

Get advice and an assessment

Experienced therapists or trusted assessors know a lot about products and will help you make sure the product is right for you now and will continue to be suitable in the future. 


You may be able to get an assessment and advice from social services. GOV.UK website
Alternatively you may choose to pay for a private occupational therapist. If you wish to request a private appointment with an occupational therapist then you can obtain details of local private occupational therapists from the 'College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Independent Practice' (COTSS-IP) website. www.cotss-ip.org.uk or phone their enquiry Line: 0845 129 7699.
You can check whether a therapist is state registered with the Health Care professions Council (HCPC) at www.hcpc-uk.org/audiences/

Try before you buy

You can find out about products and try them out, with independent advice at an Independent Living Centre (ILC). There are about 30 ILCs in the UK. Most do not sell products but they will be able to tell you where to buy them. We recommend you make an appointment before you visit

You could view equipment at an exhibition. They are a good opportunity to see what's available and meet the competing suppliers. The main exhibition of equipment is NAIDEX, held annually at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, and Glasgow. www.naidex.co.uk

Buying from a private person

Buying from a private person gives you fewer rights. You will only be able to claim against the seller if the product doesn't match its description or if the seller did not own it. Consequently, some firms occasionally pretend to be private sellers to avoid their legal responsibilities towards customers. If you suspect this has happened to you find out about your rights and what action to take on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/ or call 0345 404 0506 to speak to the Citizen Advice consumer helpline.

Membership of trade associations

Some suppliers are members of a trade association. Many of these trade associations have a code of practice that governs their members' customer service, and thus may help to project you from unscrupulous selling practices. For example, some trade associations prohibit their members from contacting people uninvited to try and sell their products. They may also prohibit their members from using high pressure selling tactics such as offering a discount if you order that day, or phoning their manager while demonstrating the equipment to you to agree a 'special discount/deal'. Thus if you have a choice of suppliers for the product you wish to purchase we recommend you consider the suppliers who are members of trade association.

We record suppliers' membership of several trade associations (see a list of these trade associations) and our ratings give greater weighting to trade associations with codes of practice which are approved by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) (e.g. the British Healthcare Trade Association) or governed by an audit scheme which meets the requirements of the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS).

We also record whether suppliers meet the ISO 9000 series of standards. These standards define a Quality System which certifies that formalised business processes are being applied, and thus may be another indicator to look for if you have a choice of suppliers.


You may be able to purchase equipment designed for use by disabled people without paying the VAT if you are 'chronically sick or disabled', and you are buying the item/s for your own personal or domestic use. For VAT purposes, a person is 'chronically sick or disabled' if they:

  • Have a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out everyday activities.
  • Have a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness (e.g. diabetes).
  • Are terminally ill.


So, you won't qualify if you're only temporarily disabled or incapacitated (e.g. if you have a broken leg).

Examples of products which are likely to qualify for VAT relief (if intended for the personal or domestic use of a chronically sick or disabled person) include:


  • wheelchairs
  • stairlifts
  • computer software or hardware designed specifically for disabled individuals
  • kettle tippers, tap turners, button hooks and similar gadgets or devices that are designed solely to make everyday tasks easier for disabled individuals
  • artificial limbs
  • vehicles that have been adapted for use by a wheelchair or stretcher user


Price is important but, if we list more than one supplier, it is important to look for more than just the cheapest price. Check when the prices were last updated (this should be stated under each price). Consider whether:

  • Postage/delivery is included (if shopping by mail order or online)
  • Is the supplier a member of a trade association? (see below)
  • Is one supplier listing the price with VAT and another without VAT?
  • Check the suppliers' returns policies and any guarantees / warranties (see below).
  • For complex equipment that requires maintenance and/or servicing check what's included in the price and what the ongoing costs will be.


The length of the manufacturer's guarantee does not limit any claim you may make to the seller as if a product develops a fault outside the guarantee period you can still claim against the seller if you can show that the fault was unreasonable at that period in the products life.


You may be asked whether you would like to purchase an extended warranty. Remember that your statutory rights exist, under the Sale of Goods Act, whether or not you choose to buy their warranty and whether or not the goods came with any guarantee. Manufacturers' guarantees are separate from the automatic rights you have against the seller, and may be more limited. For more information read the Citizens Advice Bureau guide to guarantees and warranties.

Maintenance and insurance

For large complex items, such as a stairlift, check what kind of maintenance contract the supplier offers.

Making complaints and reporting unsafe products

In most instances a complaint should initially be made to the supplier who provided you with the item. CAB has a range of guidelines on their website on making a complaint about poor service or faulty goods. These include complaining by phone, complaining in writing and template letters. CAB advice about making a complaint.
If you are not satisfied with the supplier's response then you may choose to complain to:

  • an ombudsman scheme
  • a regulator
  • an independent mediator
  • a trade association (if the supplier is a member of one)


Safety incidents involving medical devices can be reported to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) on the GOV UK website www.mhra.gov.uk or their Adverse incident centre hotline 020 3080 7080. The MHRA is the government agency responsible for ensuring that medical devices and medicines work and are acceptably safe. Their definition of 'Medical devices' includes devices used for assisting patients and users, thus many daily living aids such as bath lifts, commodes and walking sticks are medical devices. Any incident involving the safety of a medical device (including safety issues with its instructions for use) should be reported to the MHRA, especially if the incident contributed to, or could have caused injury, life-threatening illness or death.

Need More Help?

If you know that there is a certain product that will help you, feel free to browse through our online catalogue or use our search tool for specific product names. National retailers are listed against each product and you can click on their link to go directly to their website to order that product or contact the retailer for more information. Don't forget to tell them you found their information on our site.

If you are unsure about what you need why not try our AskSARA tool to narrow down your search by considering what areas of daily living you need help with.

If you would prefer to speak to someone for advice about daily living equipment, please contact our Helpline on 0300 999 0004.

Our experienced advisors will help you find the solution to your problem and can send you information on products that might help you, where you can buy equipment and other useful organisations that might be able to help you.

You can also post a question on the Youreable forum. it’s free to join the forum and the community is supportive and knowledgeable. The forum is an online community of and for disabled and older people and their families/carers.

Support us by donating

Need to speak to us?
back to top