Let AskSARA guide you

If you are a member of the public looking to access our rapid self-assessment tool, AskSARA, please contact your local authority to access this service.

If you are a local authority or organisation wishing to enquire about obtaining a license for your residents, please contact us at lme-enquires@shaw-trust.org.uk, where we will be happy to assist.

To see a list of current Local Authority & HSCP Licensees, click the button below.

View Licensees
HobSensus 1 HobSensus 2 HobSensus 3 HobSensus 4 HobSensus 5 HobSensus 6
Priced from £308.00
What we say


Prefect Controls Ltd

If you are a national retailer who is not listed please read our faqs to find out how to add your company. If you are listed and need to update your details please read how to update your listing.

There are currently no Local Retailers for this product

There are currently no Installer Or Support Services for this product

Product Information

Manufacturer's Product Description

HobSensus is an award-winning kitchen safety device, designed specifically for communal kitchens and for people residing in sheltered or assisted-living property.

HobSensus makes kitchens safer by alerting residents if there is potential for a pan fire and by ensuring that hobs are not left switched on if the person preparing food is distracted. As it complies with EN50615:2015 as a Category B product, conscientious landlords, and those caring for or living with dementia, have peace of mind that the kitchen is a safer place with HobSensus on the wall.

In ordinary operation, when the red button is pressed a cooking time of 15/20/30 or 120 minutes (time set at installation) is activated before the hob switches off, this is usually sufficient for most pan-based meals to be prepared. If more time is needed the button is pressed to reset the timer. In situations where reaching the button may be an issue the unit can be set to Auto-Start.

HobSensus ‘watches’ over the cooking area, monitoring temperature on the hob surface and measuring the current drawn by the appliance. The ‘eye’ of the device reads the temperature at 64 separate points across the surface of the cooking area. If the temperature rises to dangerous levels in any of the zones, for example a pan of boiling oil is left unattended, the alarm sounds and lights flash to alert the user, if there is no intervention and temperatures continue to rise, the power turns off and disaster is averted. Normal operation can be resumed when the kitchen is occupied again, and the red button is pressed.

With HobSensus’ robust manufacture and hard-wearing fascia plate, it is easy to keep clean and ensures the units effectiveness in the most challenging environments. Built in tamper proofing ensures HobSensus cannot be interfered with, if sensors are covered for example, the hob will become inoperative. While the design aesthetic will fit in with any kitchen style.

The unit is fitted on the wall 500mm above the work surface, and the 40Amp switching capacity makes it compatible with most 600mm or 900mm wide electric hobs. 

The Sensor Head (SH) is mounted above the hob surface and the Power Switching Unit (PSU) under the worktop. These can be hard-wired or where this is impractical the sensor head can use 4AA batteries for power, providing an estimated life expectancy of 2 years. A secure, highly reliable digital radio signal provides communication between the two devices.

HobSensus can be connected to third party devices such as smoke and fire alarms. When connected, if the alarm is triggered the HobSensus can automatically switch the hob off. If a telecare type system is installed, HobSensus can call a designated number to inform the receiver that the unit has been triggered, particularly useful for carers or family of those living with dementia.

• Power is cut to the hob before fire flashpoint temperatures are reached.

• Hob is switched off after 15/20/30 or 120 minutes of activation if the cook is distracted.

• 64 zone temperature sensor.

• Compatible with most 600mm or 900mm wide electric element and induction hobs.

• 40Amp switching capacity.

• Hard wired (LV) or battery operation.

• Complies with EN50615:2015 (what is EN50615:2015?).

• Quick and easy installation and simple operation.

Manufacturer's Contact Details


Prefect Controls Ltd

Unit 2 Church Field Business Park

Church Field Road



CO10 2YF


01787 320 604 mail@prefectcontrols.com

Key Features

  • 64 zone temperature sensor.
  • 40Amp switching capacity.
  • Hard wired or battery operation.
  • Complies with EN50615:2015.
  • Quick and easy installation and simple operation.
  • Compatible with most 600mm or 900mm wide electric element and induction hobs.
  • Timer to avoid hobs being left on.
  • Power is cut to the hob before fire flashpoint temperatures are reached.
  • Easy clean.
  • Connection to fire/smoke alarms.
  • Connection with Telecare type systems.

Product Dimensions

Width (cm) 14.7cm
Height (cm) 8.6cm - 0cm

Product Specification

Easy to clean
Easy to use by simply pressing the red button
Fail safe electrical power is isolated if you forget or are distracted whilst cooking
Installation suitable for new and retro fitting installations
Minimal maintenance
Temperature sensor
Low battery alarm
Buying equipment

There are several factors to consider when purchasing equipment.

Get advice and an assessment

Experienced therapists or trusted assessors know a lot about products and will help you make sure the product is right for you now and will continue to be suitable in the future. 

You may be able to get an assessment and advice from social services.
Alternatively you may choose to pay for a private occupational therapist. If you wish to request a private appointment with an occupational therapist then you can obtain details of local private occupational therapists from the 'College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Independent Practice' (COTSS-IP) website. www.cotss-ip.org.uk or phone their enquiry Line: 0845 129 7699.
You can check whether a therapist is state registered with the Health Care professions Council (HCPC) at www.hcpc-uk.org/audiences/

Try before you buy

You can find out about products and try them out, with independent advice at an Independent Living Centre (ILC). There are about 30 ILCs in the UK. Most do not sell products but they will be able to tell you where to buy them. We recommend you make an appointment before you visit

You could view equipment at an exhibition. They are a good opportunity to see what's available and meet the competing suppliers. The main exhibition of equipment is NAIDEX, held annually at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, and Glasgow. You can find further information on the NAIDEX website. 

Buying from a private person

Buying from a private person gives you fewer rights. You will only be able to claim against the seller if the product doesn't match its description or if the seller did not own it. Consequently, some firms occasionally pretend to be private sellers to avoid their legal responsibilities towards customers. If you suspect this has happened to you find out about your rights and what action to take on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website or call 0345 404 0506 to speak to the Citizen Advice consumer helpline.

Membership of trade associations

Some suppliers are members of a trade association. Many of these trade associations have a code of practice that governs their members' customer service, and thus may help to project you from unscrupulous selling practices. For example, some trade associations prohibit their members from contacting people uninvited to try and sell their products. They may also prohibit their members from using high pressure selling tactics such as offering a discount if you order that day, or phoning their manager while demonstrating the equipment to you to agree a 'special discount/deal'. Thus if you have a choice of suppliers for the product you wish to purchase we recommend you consider the suppliers who are members of trade association.

We record suppliers' membership of several trade associations (see a list of these trade associations) and our ratings give greater weighting to trade associations with codes of practice which are approved by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) (e.g. the British Healthcare Trade Association) or governed by an audit scheme which meets the requirements of the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS).

We also record whether suppliers meet the ISO 9000 series of standards. These standards define a Quality System which certifies that formalised business processes are being applied, and thus may be another indicator to look for if you have a choice of suppliers.


You may be able to purchase equipment designed for use by disabled people without paying the VAT if you are 'chronically sick or disabled', and you are buying the item/s for your own personal or domestic use. For VAT purposes, a person is 'chronically sick or disabled' if they:

  • Have a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out everyday activities.
  • Have a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness (e.g. diabetes).
  • Are terminally ill.

So, you won't qualify if you're only temporarily disabled or incapacitated (e.g. if you have a broken leg).

Examples of products which are likely to qualify for VAT relief (if intended for the personal or domestic use of a chronically sick or disabled person) include:

  • wheelchairs
  • stairlifts
  • computer software or hardware designed specifically for disabled individuals
  • kettle tippers, tap turners, button hooks and similar gadgets or devices that are designed solely to make everyday tasks easier for disabled individuals
  • artificial limbs
  • vehicles that have been adapted for use by a wheelchair or stretcher user


Price is important but, if we list more than one supplier, it is important to look for more than just the cheapest price. Check when the prices were last updated (this should be stated under each price). Consider whether:

  • Postage/delivery is included (if shopping by mail order or online)
  • Is the supplier a member of a trade association? (see below)
  • Is one supplier listing the price with VAT and another without VAT?
  • Check the suppliers' returns policies and any guarantees / warranties (see below).
  • For complex equipment that requires maintenance and/or servicing check what's included in the price and what the ongoing costs will be.


The length of the manufacturer's guarantee does not limit any claim you may make to the seller as if a product develops a fault outside the guarantee period you can still claim against the seller if you can show that the fault was unreasonable at that period in the products life.

You may be asked whether you would like to purchase an extended warranty. Remember that your statutory rights exist, under the Sale of Goods Act, whether or not you choose to buy their warranty and whether or not the goods came with any guarantee. Manufacturers' guarantees are separate from the automatic rights you have against the seller, and may be more limited. For more information read the Citizens Advice Bureau page on claims using guarantees and warranties.

Maintenance and insurance

For large complex items, such as a stairlift, check what kind of maintenance contract the supplier offers.

Making complaints and reporting unsafe products

In most instances a complaint should initially be made to the supplier who provided you with the item. CAB has a range of guidelines on their website on making a complaint about poor service or faulty goods. These include complaining by phone, complaining in writing and template letters. CAB advice about making a complaint.
If you are not satisfied with the supplier's response then you may choose to complain to:

  • an ombudsman scheme
  • a regulator
  • an independent mediator
  • a trade association (if the supplier is a member of one)

Safety incidents involving medical devices can be reported to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) on the GOV UK website www.mhra.gov.uk or their Adverse incident centre hotline 020 3080 7080. The MHRA is the government agency responsible for ensuring that medical devices and medicines work and are acceptably safe. Their definition of 'Medical devices' includes devices used for assisting patients and users, thus many daily living aids such as bath lifts, commodes and walking sticks are medical devices. Any incident involving the safety of a medical device (including safety issues with its instructions for use) should be reported to the MHRA, especially if the incident contributed to, or could have caused injury, life-threatening illness or death.

Need More Help?

If you know that there is a certain product that will help you, feel free to browse through our online catalogue or use our search tool for specific product names on the Living Made Easy website. National retailers are listed against each product and you can click on their link to go directly to their website to order that product or contact the retailer for more information. Don't forget to tell them you found their information on our site.

You can also post a question on the Youreable forum. it’s free to join the forum and the community is supportive and knowledgeable. The forum is an online community of and for disabled and older people and their families/carers.

Support us by donating

Need to speak to us?
back to top