Unsure about if this product suits your needs?
Let AskSARA guide you

Three simple steps to your personalised advice report

1 Choose a topic

2 Answer some questions

3 Get advice

Start here


This section includes light switches, sockets, lamps and accessories that assist with turning lighting on and off.

Light switches and sockets include large rocker switches, pull cords with enhanced grip, and accessories that may facilitate switch operation. 

Automatic lighting for use inside the home automatically turns a light on when movement is detected, a door is opened, at dusk or at pre-set times. 

Remote control dimmer switches includes lights which can be dimmed using a handheld control or other remote operation.

Remote control and wireless light switches enable you to add wall mounted switches or remote controls to your existing lighting with minimal or no rewiring required, so if at present you can only turn your stair light/s on from the top or bottom of the staircase then these kits should enable you to add a switch, or use a remote control, from the other end of your staircase.

3 Way Wireless Remote Control Bulb Holder With Dimmer Function
Remote control with three bulb holders that fit into existing light sockets. Comprises: bayonet lamp socket fitting; three stage dimming function; not...
Automatic Night Lights
LED automatic night light. Comprises: automatically turns on at dusk and off at dawn; plugs straight into a mains electric socket. Twin pack.
Battery Powered PIR Activated Light
Motion activated light. Comprises: battery powered; two lights each with four LEDs; light beams can be adjusted in direction; daylight sensor; manual ...
Bright LED Touch Sensitive Desk Lamp
Touch sensitive LED table lamp. Comprises: touch sensitive base with on/off and dimming; adjustable angle.
Colour Temperature Adjustable Led Light Bulb With Remote Control
Adjustable LED bulb with remote control. Comprises: nine watt bulb; adjustable brightness and temperature; night mode; requires no wiring to fit.
Get up in the night sensor light
Battery operated LED sensor light. Comprises: sensor switches light on when movement is detected in low light conditions; manual override on/off switc...
Coaster size mat that glows in the dark. Comprises: uses daylight to charge itself, emitting a soft glow in the dark; designed for placing objects on ...
Kristy Touch Lamp
Touch operated table lamp. Comprises: three lighting levels selected by touching the base; cylinder shaped shade.
Led Emergency Night Light
Night light. Comprises: designed to automatically light up when there is a power cut or motion is detected; always charged as it is intended to sit o...
Lightwave Hand Held Remote Control
Remote control for use with manufacturer's remote control sockets and light switches. Comprises: switches on/off or dims up/down; additional 'All Off'...
Lightwaverf 3-gang Dimmer Switch
Three gang one way 210w light switch dimmer. Comprises: synchronises upstairs and downstairs lighting; operates alongside any LightwaveRS dimmer switc...
Masterplug LED Night Light
Night lights. Comprises: teardrop shaped light; mains operated; LED bulbs; lights turn on at dusk and turn off at dawn.
Mk 2-way Double Light Switch
Extra large double gang rocker switch for interior use. Comprises: two-gang; 10a.
Mk 2-way Single Light Switch
Extra large single rocker switch for interior use. Comprises one-gang, and 10a.
Mylife X10 Dda Adapter
Used to provide the Lifeline Connect with an X-10 output. This enables the Lifeline Connect to send X-10 signals to an X-10 Mains Controller when any...
Night Light Torch
Night light rechargeable torch. Comprises: movement night light; three LEDs; on and auto modes; mounted dock; torch mode.
Night Light With Motion Sensor
Battery operated movement sensing LED nightlight. Comprises: automatically turns on at night if movement is detected and off after one minute if no mo...
Nitesafe Dual Function Nightlight
Night light with motion sensor. Comprises: portable torch with LED lights; charging cradle which plugs directly into the wall; three settings - dusk t...
Buying equipment

There are several factors to consider when purchasing equipment.

Making complaints and reporting unsafe products

In most instances a complaint should initially be made to the supplier who provided you with the item. CAB has a range of guidelines on their website on making a complaint about poor service or faulty goods. These include complaining by phone, complaining in writing and template letters. CAB advice about making a complaint.
If you are not satisfied with the supplier's response then you may choose to complain to:

  • an ombudsman scheme
  • a regulator
  • an independent mediator
  • a trade association (if the supplier is a member of one)


Safety incidents involving medical devices can be reported to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) on the GOV UK website www.mhra.gov.uk or their Adverse incident centre hotline 020 3080 7080. The MHRA is the government agency responsible for ensuring that medical devices and medicines work and are acceptably safe. Their definition of 'Medical devices' includes devices used for assisting patients and users, thus many daily living aids such as bath lifts, commodes and walking sticks are medical devices. Any incident involving the safety of a medical device (including safety issues with its instructions for use) should be reported to the MHRA, especially if the incident contributed to, or could have caused injury, life-threatening illness or death.

Buying from a private person

Buying from a private person gives you fewer rights. You will only be able to claim against the seller if the product doesn't match its description or if the seller did not own it. Consequently, some firms occasionally pretend to be private sellers to avoid their legal responsibilities towards customers. If you suspect this has happened to you find out about your rights and what action to take on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/ or call 0345 404 0506 to speak to the Citizen Advice consumer helpline.


The length of the manufacturer's guarantee does not limit any claim you may make to the seller as if a product develops a fault outside the guarantee period you can still claim against the seller if you can show that the fault was unreasonable at that period in the products life.


You may be asked whether you would like to purchase an extended warranty. Remember that your statutory rights exist, under the Sale of Goods Act, whether or not you choose to buy their warranty and whether or not the goods came with any guarantee. Manufacturers' guarantees are separate from the automatic rights you have against the seller, and may be more limited. For more information read the Citizens Advice Bureau guide to guarantees and warranties.

Maintenance and insurance

For large complex items, such as a stairlift, check what kind of maintenance contract the supplier offers.

Membership of trade associations

Some suppliers are members of a trade association. Many of these trade associations have a code of practice that governs their members' customer service, and thus may help to project you from unscrupulous selling practices. For example, some trade associations prohibit their members from contacting people uninvited to try and sell their products. They may also prohibit their members from using high pressure selling tactics such as offering a discount if you order that day, or phoning their manager while demonstrating the equipment to you to agree a 'special discount/deal'. Thus if you have a choice of suppliers for the product you wish to purchase we recommend you consider the suppliers who are members of trade association.

We record suppliers' membership of several trade associations (see a list of these trade associations) and our ratings give greater weighting to trade associations with codes of practice which are approved by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) (e.g. the British Healthcare Trade Association) or governed by an audit scheme which meets the requirements of the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS).

We also record whether suppliers meet the ISO 9000 series of standards. These standards define a Quality System which certifies that formalised business processes are being applied, and thus may be another indicator to look for if you have a choice of suppliers.


You may be able to purchase equipment designed for use by disabled people without paying the VAT if you are 'chronically sick or disabled', and you are buying the item/s for your own personal or domestic use. For VAT purposes, a person is 'chronically sick or disabled' if they:

  • Have a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out everyday activities.
  • Have a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness (e.g. diabetes).
  • Are terminally ill.


So, you won't qualify if you're only temporarily disabled or incapacitated (e.g. if you have a broken leg).

Examples of products which are likely to qualify for VAT relief (if intended for the personal or domestic use of a chronically sick or disabled person) include:


  • wheelchairs
  • stairlifts
  • computer software or hardware designed specifically for disabled individuals
  • kettle tippers, tap turners, button hooks and similar gadgets or devices that are designed solely to make everyday tasks easier for disabled individuals
  • artificial limbs
  • vehicles that have been adapted for use by a wheelchair or stretcher user


Price is important but, if we list more than one supplier, it is important to look for more than just the cheapest price. Check when the prices were last updated (this should be stated under each price). Consider whether:

  • Postage/delivery is included (if shopping by mail order or online)
  • Is the supplier a member of a trade association? (see below)
  • Is one supplier listing the price with VAT and another without VAT?
  • Check the suppliers' returns policies and any guarantees / warranties (see below).
  • For complex equipment that requires maintenance and/or servicing check what's included in the price and what the ongoing costs will be.

Get advice and an assessment

Experienced therapists or trusted assessors know a lot about products and will help you make sure the product is right for you now and will continue to be suitable in the future. 


You may be able to get an assessment and advice from social services. GOV.UK website
Alternatively you may choose to pay for a private occupational therapist. If you wish to request a private appointment with an occupational therapist then you can obtain details of local private occupational therapists from the 'College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Independent Practice' (COTSS-IP) website. www.cotss-ip.org.uk or phone their enquiry Line: 0845 129 7699.
You can check whether a therapist is state registered with the Health Care professions Council (HCPC) at www.hcpc-uk.org/audiences/

Try before you buy

You can find out about products and try them out, with independent advice at an Independent Living Centre (ILC). There are about 30 ILCs in the UK. Most do not sell products but they will be able to tell you where to buy them. We recommend you make an appointment before you visit

You could view equipment at an exhibition. They are a good opportunity to see what's available and meet the competing suppliers. The main exhibition of equipment is NAIDEX, held annually at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, and Glasgow. www.naidex.co.uk

Support us by donating

Need to speak to us?
back to top