Unsure about if this product suits your needs?
Let AskSARA guide you

Three simple steps to your personalised advice report

1 Choose a topic

2 Answer some questions

3 Get advice

Start here

Fleeces, bedding sets, blankets and pads

This section includes blankets, fleeces and pads for bed and chair use to provide comfort and warmth. They are suitable for adults, children or both.

Fleeces may be synthetic or made of sheepskin. They are not considered to provide pressure relief but they can enhance comfort and maintain low humidity and temperature by absorbing water vapour and heat. Natural sheepskin can reduce shear forces, but needs to be washed carefully and brushed to maintain the pile. Synthetic sheepskin does not absorb heat and moisture as readily, but is easier to launder.

Blankets that provide sensory input to particular points on the body stimulate the senses and have a calming effect on the nervous system, and can help create a greater sense of body awareness.

Bedding packs include single-use sheets and pillowcases.

Waterproof/absorbent pads for chairs and beds can be disposable or reusable. Bed pads are laid on top of the mattress sheet, chair pads lie on top of the chair cushion.

Abena Abri-soft Classic Disposable Bed Pads
Disposable pads designed to be placed flat on a bed to absorb spillages or incontinence. Comprises: waterproof back sheet; four sealed edges for leaka...
Abena Abri-soft Superdry Disposable Bed Pads
Disposable bed pads. Comprises: pad with waterproof layer and sealed edges; tuck-in flaps; designed to reduce odours; can be used against sensitive sk...
Abso Reusable Bed Pads
Machine washable reusable bed pad. Top layer lets moisture permeate to keep user dry, bottom layer is waterproof. Choice of size available.
Absorbent Bed Protector With Tucks
Bed pad comprising fleece and non-absorbent foam layer. Bed pad secured in place via tuck-in sides.
Absorbent Seat Pad Protectors
Absorbent chair protector pad. Comprises; patterned fabric top layer; non-absorbent layer; machine washable; two sizes; range of fabric designs.
Bed Fleece
Pure wool fleece bed pad with thick pile. Machine washable and fire retardant. Range of sizes available.
Bed Fleeces
Wool pile bed fleece. Comprises: machine washable; can be tumble dried. Options: shorter pile fleece with fitting straps.
Bed Fleeces
Bed fleeces. Comprises: made from polyester fleece fibres; designed to keep the skin dry and help prevent pressure sores from developing or worsening.
Budget Seat Pad
Disposable seat pad with waterproof backing.
Chair Pad
Waterproof chair pads. Comprises: high absorbency; impermeable slip-resistant barrier; machine washable; velvet type cover; range of colours and sizes...
Classic Weighted Blankets
Weighted blanket designed for sensory stimulatiion. Comprises: polycotton material; small hypo-allergenic polyurethane beads; machine washable. Option...
Comfort Skin Fleece
Natural sheepskin for bed or chair. Machine washable. Supplied as shorn or cut to rectangle.
Comfort Sleep Washable Bed Pad
Washable bed pads. Comprises: soft cotton top; waterproof backing; stain resistant; machine washable; can be tumble dried.
Coverdry Adult Protector
Cover designed to wrap around a wheelchair user. Comprises: waterproof layer designed to protect from urine accidents; designed to be odour resistant,...
Disposable Bed Pads
Range of disposable bed pads. Three sizes available.
Disposable Bed Protectors
Disposable bed pad with waterproof backing. Range of absorbencies available from some suppliers.
Duvet Covers With Zipped Sides
Duvet covers with zipped sides to assist with changing bedding. Set includes a duvet and one pillowcase. Options: range of sizes; range of colours and...
Economy Seat Pads
Waterproof pad for chair. Comprises: polyester and rayon fabric.
Buying equipment

There are several factors to consider when purchasing equipment.

Making complaints and reporting unsafe products

In most instances a complaint should initially be made to the supplier who provided you with the item. CAB has a range of guidelines on their website on making a complaint about poor service or faulty goods. These include complaining by phone, complaining in writing and template letters. CAB advice about making a complaint.
If you are not satisfied with the supplier's response then you may choose to complain to:

  • an ombudsman scheme
  • a regulator
  • an independent mediator
  • a trade association (if the supplier is a member of one)


Safety incidents involving medical devices can be reported to the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) on the GOV UK website www.mhra.gov.uk or their Adverse incident centre hotline 020 3080 7080. The MHRA is the government agency responsible for ensuring that medical devices and medicines work and are acceptably safe. Their definition of 'Medical devices' includes devices used for assisting patients and users, thus many daily living aids such as bath lifts, commodes and walking sticks are medical devices. Any incident involving the safety of a medical device (including safety issues with its instructions for use) should be reported to the MHRA, especially if the incident contributed to, or could have caused injury, life-threatening illness or death.

Buying from a private person

Buying from a private person gives you fewer rights. You will only be able to claim against the seller if the product doesn't match its description or if the seller did not own it. Consequently, some firms occasionally pretend to be private sellers to avoid their legal responsibilities towards customers. If you suspect this has happened to you find out about your rights and what action to take on the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) website https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/ or call 0345 404 0506 to speak to the Citizen Advice consumer helpline.


The length of the manufacturer's guarantee does not limit any claim you may make to the seller as if a product develops a fault outside the guarantee period you can still claim against the seller if you can show that the fault was unreasonable at that period in the products life.


You may be asked whether you would like to purchase an extended warranty. Remember that your statutory rights exist, under the Sale of Goods Act, whether or not you choose to buy their warranty and whether or not the goods came with any guarantee. Manufacturers' guarantees are separate from the automatic rights you have against the seller, and may be more limited. For more information read the Citizens Advice Bureau guide to guarantees and warranties.

Maintenance and insurance

For large complex items, such as a stairlift, check what kind of maintenance contract the supplier offers.

Membership of trade associations

Some suppliers are members of a trade association. Many of these trade associations have a code of practice that governs their members' customer service, and thus may help to project you from unscrupulous selling practices. For example, some trade associations prohibit their members from contacting people uninvited to try and sell their products. They may also prohibit their members from using high pressure selling tactics such as offering a discount if you order that day, or phoning their manager while demonstrating the equipment to you to agree a 'special discount/deal'. Thus if you have a choice of suppliers for the product you wish to purchase we recommend you consider the suppliers who are members of trade association.

We record suppliers' membership of several trade associations (see a list of these trade associations) and our ratings give greater weighting to trade associations with codes of practice which are approved by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) (e.g. the British Healthcare Trade Association) or governed by an audit scheme which meets the requirements of the United Kingdom Accreditation Service (UKAS).

We also record whether suppliers meet the ISO 9000 series of standards. These standards define a Quality System which certifies that formalised business processes are being applied, and thus may be another indicator to look for if you have a choice of suppliers.


You may be able to purchase equipment designed for use by disabled people without paying the VAT if you are 'chronically sick or disabled', and you are buying the item/s for your own personal or domestic use. For VAT purposes, a person is 'chronically sick or disabled' if they:

  • Have a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out everyday activities.
  • Have a condition that the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness (e.g. diabetes).
  • Are terminally ill.


So, you won't qualify if you're only temporarily disabled or incapacitated (e.g. if you have a broken leg).

Examples of products which are likely to qualify for VAT relief (if intended for the personal or domestic use of a chronically sick or disabled person) include:


  • wheelchairs
  • stairlifts
  • computer software or hardware designed specifically for disabled individuals
  • kettle tippers, tap turners, button hooks and similar gadgets or devices that are designed solely to make everyday tasks easier for disabled individuals
  • artificial limbs
  • vehicles that have been adapted for use by a wheelchair or stretcher user


Price is important but, if we list more than one supplier, it is important to look for more than just the cheapest price. Check when the prices were last updated (this should be stated under each price). Consider whether:

  • Postage/delivery is included (if shopping by mail order or online)
  • Is the supplier a member of a trade association? (see below)
  • Is one supplier listing the price with VAT and another without VAT?
  • Check the suppliers' returns policies and any guarantees / warranties (see below).
  • For complex equipment that requires maintenance and/or servicing check what's included in the price and what the ongoing costs will be.

Get advice and an assessment

Experienced therapists or trusted assessors know a lot about products and will help you make sure the product is right for you now and will continue to be suitable in the future. 


You may be able to get an assessment and advice from social services. GOV.UK website
Alternatively you may choose to pay for a private occupational therapist. If you wish to request a private appointment with an occupational therapist then you can obtain details of local private occupational therapists from the 'College of Occupational Therapists Specialist Section - Independent Practice' (COTSS-IP) website. www.cotss-ip.org.uk or phone their enquiry Line: 0845 129 7699.
You can check whether a therapist is state registered with the Health Care professions Council (HCPC) at www.hcpc-uk.org/audiences/

Try before you buy

You can find out about products and try them out, with independent advice at an Independent Living Centre (ILC). There are about 30 ILCs in the UK. Most do not sell products but they will be able to tell you where to buy them. We recommend you make an appointment before you visit

You could view equipment at an exhibition. They are a good opportunity to see what's available and meet the competing suppliers. The main exhibition of equipment is NAIDEX, held annually at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, and Glasgow. www.naidex.co.uk

Support us by donating

Need to speak to us?
back to top